Rules & Regulations
> Article IV
Officers & Executive Committee
The control of the Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves shall be vested in the Executive Committee, who shall manage the affairs of the Section in conformity with the Rules and Regulations of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons and Congress of Neurological Surgeons. Only active members who are active members of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons and/or Congress of Neurological Surgeons shall be officers or members of the Executive Committee.
Section 4.02 Officers
The officers of this Section shall be the Chairperson, Chairperson-Elect, Immediate Past-Chairperson, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Section 4.03 Executive Committee
The Executive Committee shall consist of the five officers, three Members at Large, the Newsletter Editor, the Exhibits Chairperson, the Annual Meeting Chairperson, and the Scientific Program Chairperson, and standing and ad hoc committee chairs. All past Section Chairs shall hold a lifetime non-voting position on the Executive Committee, as a means of maintaining Section consistency and corporate memory. Ex-officio members may be appointed at the discretion of the Chairperson.
Voting members shall be the five officers, the Media Chairperson, the Exhibits Chairperson, the Annual Meeting Chairperson, and the Scientific Program Chairperson.
Section 4.04 Tenure of Office
The Chairperson shall serve a term of one year. The Secretary and Treasurer shall serve a term of 3 years and may not serve more than two consecutive terms. The Members at Large of the Executive Committee shall assume a term of 3 years and may not serve more than two consecutive terms. All officers and members of the Executive Committee shall assume office immediately following the Annual Joint Section Meeting.
Section 4.05 Duties:
- Chairperson: The Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the Section. The Chairperson
shall appoint all committees not otherwise provided for, and shall perform all such other
duties as appertain to the office of Chairperson. The Chairperson shall be an ex officio
member of all committees with the right to vote only in the case of a tie vote. The
Chairperson shall supervise the execution of all rules.
- Chairperson-elect: The Chairperson-Elect shall be a voting member of the Executive
Committee and shall assume the responsibility of the Chairperson in the case of absence,
death, resignation or inability to act of the current Chairperson.
- Immediate Past-Chairperson: The Immediate Past-Chairperson shall be a voting member of the Executive Committee and shall be the chairperson of the Nominating Committee.
- Secretary: The Secretary shall keep an accurate record of the proceedings of meetings of the
Section and the Executive Committee and shall conduct all correspondence for the Executive
Committee. The Secretary shall issue printed or written notice of all meetings of the Section
and the Executive Committee, and shall perform such other duties pertaining to this office,
as may be required from time to time by the Executive Committee. The Secretary will maintain a current complete copy of the Rules and Regulations of the Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves. The Secretary will maintain an active roster of the make-up of the Executive Committee of the Joint Section.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer shall keep an accurate record of the Collections and disbursements
of funds, shall pay all financial obligations incurred by the Joint Section.
- Members at Large: The Members at Large shall provide oversight of Ad-hoc Committee Heads and coordinate reports at the Executive Committee meetings at DSPN and CNS. Members at Large report to the Secretary and Section Chairperson.
- Executive Committee: The Executive Committee shall supervise and effect an efficient
management of the Joint Section, and report annually, or when requested, to the parent
organizations on all activities of the Joint Section.
- The officers and Executive Committee shall be held blameless for all activities of this Joint
Section or for activities done in its name, except for any theft from the organization or for
willful and malicious conduct.
- Election of Officers and Executive Committee. It shall be the duty of the immediate past Chairperson of the Joint Section to convene the Nominating Committee each year prior to the CNS Annual Meeting to define a slate of nominees for officers of the Joint Section. This slate of nominees for officers of the Joint Section will be presented to the Executive Committee when the Joint Section Executive Committee convenes at the CNS Annual Meeting. Following Executive Committee approval, the slate of candidates will be presented to the membership in the Joint Section Newsletter. Additional nominations can be made by any active member of the Section and seconded by another active member. Such nominations must be received in writing by either the Section Chairperson or Secretary not less than 30 days before the Joint Section Annual Business Meeting. Voting on all officer candidates will be conducted at the Annual Business Meeting.
Section 4.06 Vacancies
If a member of the Executive Committee is unable to readily fulfill the commitments of their designated position due to personal circumstance, illness or death, that position may be declared vacant by majority vote of the Executive Committee. Any such vacancy may be filled until the next Annual Business Meeting by the affirmative vote of a majority of members of the Nominating Committee.
If during the regular course of business a member of the Executive Committee (other than an officer) otherwise fails to meet their responsibilities in a timely manner, they may be replaced at the discretion of the Section Chairperson. The new appointment will be subject to renewal by the Section Chair at the time of the Executive Committee Meeting at the Annual Joint Section Meeting.